Monday, January 25, 2010

An Ever Increasing Fabric Stash

Is a good thing. Despite the increasing lack of storage space. A lovely lady at church today who used to sew but doesn't anymore gave me a huge stash of fabrics to take home and play with.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Fabric Stash on my kitchen table"][/caption]

The fabrics were really good quality, made of natural fibers and in wonderful conditon, despite the fact that some of them were over 20 years old. Some of the stars of the day were:

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Silk with matching woven trim"][/caption]

This would make a wonderful ethnic looking skirt and top. Maybe a sari? Although I wouldn't know where to wear one in Adelaide.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Genuine Thai Silk with a certificate of authenticity"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Thai Certificate of Authenticity"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="A huge yardage of a soft blue waffle weave cotton/silk blend"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="A different shade of the same cloth above in a reddish pink."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Light pink silk"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="White Linen"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Pink material with woven checks-not sure what kind of material it is though."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Champagne coloured soft linen"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="A white pinwale cord-like material. It also came in light and dark blue."][/caption]

I'm thinking a white gored maternity skirt for this one.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Light brown linen"][/caption]

Today's catch inspired me to sort out my fabric stash into some sort of order.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="My fabric stash and storage place"][/caption]

This is what it looked like before. I've filled up 3 55-litre storage boxes, and fabric stilled overflowed.  I spent more than an hour sitting down on the floor folding fabric into uniform lengths to fit the boxes.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="Folding folding folding"][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="639" caption="I folded and positioned all my fabric so that it was sitting vertically."][/caption]

Makes it easier to see and pull out a particular fabric that I want.

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="426" caption="My fleec stash for making cloth nappies."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="426" caption="Fashion fabric."][/caption]

[caption id="" align="alignnone" width="426" caption="Fashion fabric"][/caption]

At least one third of the material you see were given by other people. Another third from opshops, and one third from Spotlight. I can't help collecting fabric-it's so addictive! I need to sew more!

I should have catalogued the fabric and measured it though. But my back was aching from sitting on the floor too long.

Anyways, the fabric were collected over just 3 months-I wonder how much I'll have in a year?! The church lady said she'll bring more next week-can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Please leave your comments here: